Sunday, May 20, 2007

More Bobby

No picture today, but the curvature created by the shortrow shaping on Bobby is coming out perfectly. I'm aiming to match the curvature of the original garment, and I'm spot on.

If anyone has 3 or 4 balls of Knitpicks Essential in 2 colors just lying around, and wants to do a sporadic knit-along with my developing pattern, here's the part that I've worked out (not in clear modern knitting language - I took this straight from my notes):

Gauge swatch: 44 sts x 48 rows over 4x4 inches, knit in 1x1 rib on size 1 KnitPicks circulars (straights are ok, too, i just don't have any plain straights in 1). 11 sts by 12 rows over average square inch.

Using a long-tailed cast on, cast on 136 sts.
Work 10 rows 2x2 rib over all 136 sts.
Work 1 row 1x1 rib without shaping.
Work 80 sts 1x1 rib, turn (use your favorite shortrow method).
Work 34 sts 1x1 rib (continue in 1x1 rib) turn.
Work 38 sts, turn.
Work 40 sts, turn.
Work 44 sts, turn.
Work 48 sts, turn.
Work 50, turn.
Work 52, turn.
Work 56, turn.
work 60, turn.
work 64, turn,
work 68, turn.
Keep going, working 4 sts past your last turning point on the row on the needle each time, until you are back to the edge of the work. Work 15 rows (continue in 1x1 rib) and begin side shaping.

I haven't written the side shaping. Tune in next time, probably Wednesday.

The sample is a 12-18 month size, roughly 1T. I'll be working out patterns for all standard CYC infant sizes once Bobby's all written up. 1x1 rib = knit 1 purl 1, so you know I'm not using some bizarre shorthand.

You can also use any other fingering weight sock yarn, I have worked up swatches in Wildfoote and Dancing, and the gauge is similar. If you want to try this in other yarns, let me know how it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments are moderated, so do not be alarmed if your comment doesn't show up immediately.