Monday, May 14, 2007



Bobby is a free pattern in progress. It's based on a sewn (from machine-knitted yardage) cotton/rayon baby romper that belonged to my late uncle when he was an infant in the early 1940's.

I'm working it up in Knitpicks Essential, since I cannot find an acceptable substitute for the laceweight cotton 3ply with one rayon ply, and also because superwash wool will withstand baby. I originally started with two skeins of Wildfoote, but it's not as soft as Essential, so those will probably get used to to make a matching (nearly matching) hat and sock set. Eventually I'll try a cotton version, but by then my baby won't be a baby anymore!

The curves at the bottom are to be shaped with short rowing, probably japanese shortrows. This version is worked flat, front, back and sleeves, and seamed (or seamed as you go...), then the buttons and snap tape are sewn on. It's actually a pretty simple little item, the only thing about it that makes it difficult is the gauge. It's worked on size 1 needles, in 1x1 rib, with edgings worked in 2x2 rib.

I'm thinking I might want to write an in-the-round version. I started out with that in mind, but that wast started in the Wildfoote, in stockinette, with 1x rib edging, and I was unhappy with the yarn as well as the way the stockinette behaved vis what I intended.

For the full pattern, keep an eye here. I'll post a link when I've got it done.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see the F.O. (and pattern) I really enjoy modern takes on vintage stuff. :)



Thanks for commenting! Comments are moderated, so do not be alarmed if your comment doesn't show up immediately.