Thursday, December 15, 2011

An updated version of this post is here on my house blog! Please go look, there's lots of news!

It's been 4 years of near-total inactivity on my house blog, but there wasn't much to report. We've been on hiatus, my husband has been deployed a few times, and we are finally getting to get back to work on the old girl.

I've spent the intervening time researching things and making plans, and I have figured out a number of things about this house. Not one of those things, and none of my extensive research, has given me anything like an answer as to which architect or kit company she came from. Not a bit, despite having practically had a love affair with the online texts section of the Internet Archive, and spending way too much time with Google Books. So, in the spirit of warming up a cold project and slowly getting it into gear, I am going to ask you for some help. Here's my question for you:

Does anyone out there recognize this floorplan? I have yet to find a house with a 28 x 48 26 x 48 footprint with a 28x40 26x40 cellar/foundation. I made a few rough scale drawings of what the house looked like before three different additions were tacked (or frankensteined, in the case of the dining room bay) on, and before the porch was closed in and roofers removed the vent gable. I think I ought to have drawn the steps wider, but I have no idea what the original steps might have looked like.

Here's the only photo I have been able to find prior to the changes to the porch:


What we do know:

  • The county tax assessor has a single sheet of manila with a tiny photo stapled to it, which I have been told dates from the late 1960s or early 1970s. The build date on the house, according to this document, is 1925. However, as records are incomplete, I have been told that could simply be a sale date, or the date the property record was recorded in the county office. Nobody knows.
  • The younger daughter (Edith Heppe) of the family that built it visited the late former owner of the home about 15 years ago, and a statement about the house was written down from her childhood memories. We have this statement and I have transcribed it here
  • Mrs. Heppe remembered it was built by her father, and her parents moved to Centralia in 1921, so it had to have been built before that time. 
  • It's got Sears hardware throughout, and all the original millwork is directly out of the Sears millwork catalog. 
  • It originally looked rather like an Aladdin, if you go by that little black and white photo. But it does not match any recognizable Aladdin plan, or even a footprint of any similar style of home, that I have yet found. Also, the interior millwork and hardware and NOT Aladdin.
  • I've found a similar footprint in Wards and Chicago House Wrecking company catalogs, but nothing like this plan or style in combination with the footprint.
  • It's got an odd arrangement of den/living room/dining room that is indicative of an earlier house, so really, the latest I would put it at is 1914.


In other news, I finally know what to do with the back bedroom. More on that, and the kitchen remodel, later.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking to buy a house in Ohio that is very similar to your drawing. This house located in an old town Alliance, Oh has a 28x40 (48 w/porch) floor plan and was said to be built in 1925. The picture looks a lot like it as well. This area of Ohio is filled with what I imagine are kit homes from Sears and the like. Building booms in this area seem to be 1900, 1920s, 1940s, 1960s... I would love to tell you any more I can about the house if I am able to purchase it. I can send you what I do know and some current pix of the place. So cool b/c I have been trying to find the name or kit model number online too! First thing I have seen that is really dead on is your pic and info! I hope you check this - it looks over a year old - please email me at jlysaght222@gmail.com and we can exchange house info. :) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments are moderated, so do not be alarmed if your comment doesn't show up immediately.