Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Savory pies for a cool summer evening


So, today I made pies. These are basically made by the method used for making calzone, out of my favorite basic yeast dough (use your favorite dough or pizza dough recipe), and filled with sausage and mushrooms, chicken alfredo, or cheese and ham (that last one is for the kids). 

Make your dough, divide it into handful-size balls (I get a dozen or more out of a single recipe), set on an oiled cookie sheet or tray, cover with plastic and rise in the fridge for 3-8 hours, then roll out into roundish, flat shapes. Think tortilla-thickness, they will rise a bit after filling and sealing. do one at a time, roll out, fill, seal. Fill with about half of what you think you need to fill each pie. Seal the edge with water and pinch closed, then move onto a cookie sheet and snip a small hole to keep it from blowing up. When the sheet is filled, bake at 375 F for 20 or so minutes.

All fillings are cooked and ready to eat before filling the pies, since they only need to bake for 20 or 30 minutes to cook the bread. Use whatever strikes your fancy. I think curried chicken or savory lentil pies would be great for next time. You can even use slices of fruit and sugar and spices.

One pie filled me up, two was enough for my hungry husband who skipped lunch, and one and half was enough for our older, fast-growing, ever-hungry boy.

I took the last two doughballs and cut them in half and filled them with berries mixed with sugar and cornstarch, the dusted the half-sized pies with more sugar and baked them.

We're all full now, so I think I did a good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments are moderated, so do not be alarmed if your comment doesn't show up immediately.