Monday, May 11, 2009

Dough Knots!



I made Dough Knots for breakfast the other day. While I wanted to share this recipe immediately, it has taken a bit for me to get the camera and its cable together. I did so today, and I am finally able to post this!

The night before, I filtered my deep fryer oil and the next morning I made eggless doughnut balls (basically sweet quickbread dough) for the boys for breakfast.

They were delicious.

Dough Knots

3 3/4 cups or so of all purpose flour
7 tsp baking powder
2 cups milk (I used dry milk and then used filtered water), you could probalby use soymilk too
1/4 cup sugar (less or more to taste)
1 tsp salt
On this day, I tossed in a huge dash of cinnamon and looked for my vanilla but it was hiding. I would also make these with shredded cheese or raisins or nuts or whatever mixed in. They might also be tasty with some chopped garlic, for a savory variation.

Preheat oil in deep fryer, if using electric fryer.

Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly (I use a whisk), adding any mix-ins with the dry ingredients.

Add liquid, mix well with a spatula or spoon.

Get a small scoop or spoon and set it in a glass of water for spooning out portions.
If you are using oil in a deep pan on your stovetop, heat it now. The batter can sit for a bit.

When your oil is at 350, "drop" 1 tbsp or so at a time into the oil until the fryer is full (it's really more of an easing motion, you drop from right above the oil, to prevent splashing; there should be room for the knots to move around). Dip spoon into water between scoops to prevent excessive sticking.

Cook until knots are a dark golden brown. They may have one side that's less done, but that's okay. Remove with a slotted spoon, mesh skimmer, etc and set aside on paper towels for 5-10 min, then move to a colander to cool.

Allow to cool between 10 and 20 minutes before eating, because the residual heat is still cooking the dough.

Keep going until you are done with all the batter, follow kitchen safety rules, etc.

Makes about 30-40 knots, depending on size of spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments are moderated, so do not be alarmed if your comment doesn't show up immediately.