Sunday, September 28, 2008

Not sketti-ohs

I make my kids o-shaped noodles from time to time, and I make a sweet tomato/cheese sauce to give them a taste of one of my old favorites we don't buy because I'm trying to avoid food additives. This is an occasional treat! I don't make it often, and my older boy thinks it's too sweet, even with only one spoon of sugar, at five.

This recipe is easy to modify for various special diets, since you are in control of the ingredients.

12 oz of smooth tomato sauce (or 4 oz tomato paste and 4 oz tomato-based mixed veggie juice)
3/4-1 cup of shredded cheese (we use colby/jack, or you can use a mix of jack and mild cheddar, or even veggie cheese, whatever makes you happiest)
1-2 Tbsp sugar to taste

Heat sauce to a simmer, add cheese. Stir until cheese is mostly melted, then blend with a stick blender and add sugar 1 Tbsp at a time, blending and tasting between them. If you don't have a stick bender, pour into a blender and blend until smooth and the cheese is fairly incorporated.

Pour hot sauce over:
4-6 cups of o-shaped pasta, cooked and cooled.

Stir, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments are moderated, so do not be alarmed if your comment doesn't show up immediately.